Christine Hendler, a weight loss professional, vegan, and wine aficionado, provides her tips for accurate and insightful wine tasting. There is no right or wrong way to taste wine, but with a few simple methods it can be easier to find a wine that you enjoy. Christine Hendler frequently attends wine tasting events around her home and in the wine country of California.
1. Start with a clean, clear glass.
2. Pour an inch or less of wine into the bottom of your glass.
3. Hold your glass to the light and examine the color of the wine. Note that white wines gain more color as they age, while red wines lose color over time.
4. Hold the glass by the stem and gently swirl it a couple times. This releases the aroma of the wine.
5. Breathe in the scent of the wine. The scent is closely linked to a wine’s flavor, so this is a good indicator of whether or not you will enjoy the taste.
6. Take a small, slow sip of wine and be aware of all the different sensations the flavor causes.
7. Taste often! This will improve your palate and will give you an idea of the types of wines you prefer.